2023 Call for Proposals will open later this year
Please read below for more information.
If you would like to support this program to expand the number and size of awards available, your donation would be welcome. 100% of donations received will go directly to recipients of the award, as CPS volunteers the administration time and overhead to run this program. CPS also offers award recipients additional support in conducting and promoting their work.
2021 Funding Provided by:
Intersection of Identities
We recognize that sexual identity and racial identity are intersectional, and that research on sexuality must attend to issues of race. We recognize that racial disparities affect issues like access to sexual health resources and the impact of social stigma about sexuality. We recognize that sexuality research must push back against a history of marginalizing rather than uplifting communities of color. We recognize that people of different races have diverse, unique, joyful, and humanizing experiences with sexuality that deserve scholarship and recognition.
Positive Sexuality Framework
The Center for Positive Sexuality approaches our work through a framework called the 8 Dimensions of Positive Sexuality. You can read more about this model in our article, Introducing a Multidisciplinary Framework of Positive Sexuality (Williams et al., 2015). The key components of this model are that:
- “positive” refers to strengths, wellbeing, and happiness;
- multiple disciplines and methods to understand sexuality are welcomed;
- individual sexuality is unique and multi-faceted;
- application of professional ethics is necessary;
- open and honest communication is necessary;
- positive sexuality is humanizing and inclusive;
- positive sexuality encourages peacemaking; and
- it has applications across multiple levels of social structure.
A brief (3 page maximum) proposal is required explaining the proposed research, a time-frame for its completion, and how it relates to one or more of the 8 Dimensions of Positive Sexuality. Applicants must also submit a proposed budget and a resume or curriculum vitae.
Proposals will be evaluated by the Board of Directors based on the following criteria: 1) quality and feasibility of work proposed 2) centrality of research on communities of color 3) connection of research to one or more of the Dimensions of Positive Sexuality and 4) potential for impact on communities of color.
Who Can Apply?
Proposals are welcomed from researchers at any level, including community members unaffiliated with academic institutions, and anyone can apply. We welcome submissions from new researchers without a publication record. Researchers from marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply; please feel free to comment on your identities and how they relate to the work you are proposing.
We welcome all proposals that align with our mission; we especially encourage proposals that focus on the following:
- Sex education in schools
- Transgender youth
- Reproductive justice
What CPS Will Provide
- Research funding
- Timely and clear communication
- Research support from one or more of our volunteer Research Assistants (as available)
- Promotion of your work via our website and social media
- For projects that require IRB approval, assistance is available via our collaboration with the CARAS IRB
- Option to submit for publication in the Journal of Positive Sexuality
Responsibilities of Awardees
Recipients of awards will be expected to:
- Use funding in a manner congruent with what was proposed in the budget
- Provide photos and biographies to help us promote your work
- Check in with CPS about progress of your research, and how we can help
- Public acknowledgment of funding from the Center for Positive Sexuality
Proposal submissions due August 31, 2022. Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single collated PDF:
- A brief (3 page maximum; single-spaced) proposal, including:
- Explanation of proposed research
- Time-frame for project completion
- Explanation of how proposed work relates to one or more of the 8 Dimensions of Positive Sexuality (see above)
- Proposed budget
- Applicant’s resume or curriculum vitae