Noted Sex Educator, Emily Prior, Director of Center for Positive Sexuality, and Andrew Abrams, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Certified Couples and Sex Therapist have teamed up to offer a variety of specialized therapy groups at a sliding scale basis for these communities.
Additionally individual and couples therapy tailored to the needs of these communities are available.
Open House Scheduled Sept 12 and 19, 630pm at our office in Encino, CA. Please RSVP as space is limited. Email:Emily@positivesexuality.org or Andrew@AndrewAbrams.info for more information and to RSVP.
GROUPS IN DEVELOPMENT
- female submissives
- male submissives
- Female Dominants
- Male Dominants
- Male switches
- Female switches
- D/s couples/partners
- M/s couples/partners
- Transgender Spectrum (from cross-dressers to pre-op)
- Polyamourous/Non-monogamous individuals
- Polyamourous/Non-monogamous partners
WHY GROUP THERAPY?
Group therapy provides an environment among one’s peers which is safe, contained, and supportive where feelings and thoughts can be expressed, discussed, and understood.
These groups are not meant to change one’s psychosexual orientation, but to enable one to enjoy life as fully as possible.
WHY GROUP THERAPY FOR THE OPEN SEXUALITY COMMUNITIES?
These communities tend to operate in groups, so group dynamics is particularly important and emotionally influential. Group therapy will allow the development of the deeper understandings of issues that are important to individuals within these communities. Having a professional therapist and educator facilitating the group provides thoughtfulness, insight, and boundaries that a peer group may not.
OUR GROUP MODEL WILL CULTIVATE
- Empowerment in decision making
- Interest in the inner meanings of desires and behaviors
- Learning from others’ experiences and sharing one’s experiences with others
- The capacity to use the mind to reflect (even when activated)
- Awareness of impulses and internal pressures
- Self knowledge and connection to the unconscious
- Awareness of how we effect others and are effected by others
- Awareness of how we are influenced by group dynamics and pressures
- Empathy and understanding of others
- Internal safety alone and within groups
- Awareness of how we objectify and are objectified
- Interest in the real selves of others
- The ability to differentiate reality from desires, expectations and projections
- Objectivity in assessing risks and benefits
- Safety assessment (including emotional wellness)
- The ability to assess the need for caution versus compelling wish to act
TO ENSURE A TRULY SAFE GROWING ENVIRONMENT:
- CONFIDENTIALITY IS RESPECTED AND REQUIRED
- NO ONE SHOULD BE PRESSURED TO MEET OUTSIDE OF THE GROUP
- REFERRAL INFORMATION FOR A VARIETY OF RESOURCES IS AVAILABLE